Avoid These 10 Gym Etiquette Mistakes
Happy New Year! The new year typically represents a busy time in the fitness industry, as people start to execute their New Year’s resolutions. This usually means getting back into the gym. With that in mind, I’ve listed out 10 gym etiquette mistakes you’ll want to make sure to avoid.
1. Don’t forget to wipe down the equipment after you use it. Especially if you sweat a lot, no one wants to jump on a bench with a bunch of smudges and sweat.
2. Avoid stinky gym clothes. Wear clean clothes. Sounds simple right? It is, but you’d be surprised…
3. Do not use equipment and then leave it out. Put equipment back where it belongs.
4. Don’t drop weights unless you HAVE to. Most people are lifting weights that aren’t heavy enough to justify throwing them down and banging them around.
5. Don’t block the dumbbell rack. Grab your weights and move to an open area. It’s the worst when Bobby’s biceps has to do his curls right in front of the rack, preventing everyone else from grabbing any weight.
6. Be aware of physical distancing. Try not to crowd out other people’s space.
7. Avoid asking trainers who are working with private clients questions if possible. When you see a trainer working with a client, remember that the client they are working with is paying for their time.
8. Don’t forget to wear deodorant. But also, take it easy on the perfume/cologne. (Or avoid it all together…I cannot tell you how many times I’ve had to address this. Remember that people can be very sensitive to scents!)
9. Avoid staring at other people working out. Many people are self-conscious at the gym. They don’t need another set of eyes staring them down.
10. Don’t offer unsolicited advice. Even though I know you learn a lot of great things from me, most people at the gym don’t care about your opinion.
Ok, now you’re ready to be a conscientious, well-educated gym goer.